Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Χριστός Ανέστη!

This next chanter is someone who is near and dear to me. It is Panagiotis "Pete" Gikas. He is a chanter at St. Demetrios church, in Elmhurst, IL. I know what you are all thinking, "Fierceness!" That is exactly what I was thinking, and if you know Pete you're probably dieing of laughter. I recently rediscovered a live recording of his. He had graciously given it to me awhile back (and never will give me another one because of this post lol).

The recording is from the Ανάσταση Λειτουργία service in 2008. It is chanted by all the seminarians of Holy Cross Seminary in Boston. Does anyone know the name of the chanter on the other side of Pete? He's very good too! Forgive the quality of the recording, the closeness of the hson holder, and understand that it is live. Baby crying cannot be edited out, nor should it!

Anastash 2008 clip 01 by NiPaPaChicago

Anastash 2008 clip 02 by NiPaPaChicago

Anastash 2008 clip 03 by NiPaPaChicago

Anastash 2008 clip 04 by NiPaPaChicago

Anastash 2008 clip 05 by NiPaPaChicago

Anastash 2008 clip 06 by NiPaPaChicago

Anastash 2008 clip 07 by NiPaPaChicago

This video clip is another example of chanting at Holy Cross Seminary. It is chanted at the vigil of St. Luke the Evangelist.

1 comment:

  1. hi...my name is taso and i chant and teach in the chicago areaa.... can you send me an email at greek487@aol.com? .....i would love to get to know you.....it seems like you really love the traditon of byzantine music and maybe we can collaborate on some type of mutually-interesting project relating to music.....please email me, so we chat....ta leme, tasos =)

    ReplyDelete